We know that you are excited to fill your garden with every colorful flower and plant out there. An abundance of beautiful and healthy plants is not only pleasing to the eyes but also gives yourself a unique sense of comfort in your home. However, be cautious about the plants you’re going to add in your soon-to-be botanical garden as some typical house and garden plants may be a health hazard and are poisonous. Here are five toxic plants that might be a risk to you and your family (garden plants poisonous to dogs).
Hydrangeas are medium-sized bush with gorgeous blossoms. This plant blooms every year from spring to autumn. Despite the beautiful ball-shaped flower as it is, hydrangeas contain cyanide, one of the deadliest poisons. Though it may only provide a small amount of the poison, it can be moderately toxic pets and children once it is ingested. Symptoms include vomiting, heavy breathing, lethargy, stomach ache, or coma, in worst cases.
Daffodils are bulbous, strongly-scented flowers. They are mostly used indoors as decorations as it comes in different colors, such as yellow and white, and smell great. Daffodils are also one of the first plants to blossom in your yard. While this may seem like an innocent-looking flower, it is not advisable to leave it in the room for a long time. Apparently, when this flower is left in the place for too long, people tend to have headaches. Different parts of the plant are poisonous, but the bulbs are the most toxic part of this plant. Although this may not lead to a fatal death, it is also not advisable to plant this when you have dogs around, especially when they like to dig. Common symptoms are vomiting, dehydration, drooling, and stomach ache.
Lily of the Valley
This flower blooms in spring and grows close to the ground. It blooms tiny white bell-shaped flowers that are also incredibly sweet-smelling. Unfortunately, the plant contains convallatoxin, which is very deadly and claims to accelerate the cardiac muscles’ contractions. Just a small bit or a nip of the plant can cause hot flashes, headaches, fatigue, diarrhea, and vomiting. Washing of hands after touching the plant is extremely encouraged. Or better yet, use gloves. A small amount of dosage can lead to a fatal end.
Philodendron comes from the tropical forests of South America and is sometimes called “green tree”. While this evergreen plant is trendy and can be placed indoors, the sap can actually irritate your skin and mouth. This can also lead to tongue swelling, throat swelling, burning pain, and an upset stomach. Philodendron may not give you severe reactions. However, keep this away from children and pets.
Foxgloves are known for its bell-shaped flowers. It grows out in tall and slender spires that comes in different colors like pink, purple, and white. But do not be fooled by the beautiful flowers. This plant contains a compound that is widely used for treating the cardiac system. This is if it is used correctly. Unfortunately, when this plant is induced, it could be both deadly and poisonous. It is also not advised to make a home remedy of your own as the dose you may get will be unregulated. Steer clear of this when you have children and/or pets, or hang it on a higher area. When induced, the common symptoms are increased heart rate, nausea, vomiting, and seizures.
Final Words: One should be very careful when choosing garden plants as they some garden plants poisonous to dogs other pets as well.